- protect.scot App Download Free
protect.scot App Download Free
Help Scotland keep the spread of coronavirus under control by downloading and using the free Protect Scotland app from NHS Scotland’s Test and Protect service.
Using the app is entirely voluntary. When you use the app, you will be alerted if you have been in close contact with another app user who has tested positive for coronavirus. If you test positive and you enter the unique code sent to you into the app, it will anonymously warn other app users whom you have been in close contact with.
Using Bluetooth, the app will search for other devices with the Protect Scotland app installed, which are within 2m of your phone. You don’t need to have a WiFi connection.
The app uses a very small amount of your mobile phone data.
Once you’ve downloaded the app, encourage your friends, family and colleagues to do so too. The more people who download and use the Protect Scotland app, the more likely we are to keep coronavirus under control. . The benefits of using the app are: Speeds up the process of identifying and notifying people that have been at risk of catching coronavirus, particularly of unknown contacts Slows the spread of the virus Reduces the likelihood of further lockdowns Helps protect the health service, your family and friends, yourself and the people of Scotland
Ultimately, you can help to stop the spread of coronavirus in Scotland by downloading and using the Protect Scotland app.
Privacy and Data
The Protect Scotland app is designed to protect the privacy of all users. It doesn’t store or share any personally identifiable information, like your name or address. Nobody can track your location by using the app or tell who you are.
You can remove the app from your device at any time, and all the data stored on your phone will be deleted.
[epcl_button label=”DOWNLOAD” url=”https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gov.scot.covidtracker” type=”outline” color=”green” size=”regular” icon=”fa-android” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”][/epcl_button]
How the app works
- Once you have installed and set up Protect Scotland, it will run in the background of your device. You can use your phone and other apps as normal
- Using Bluetooth, the app will exchange anonymous, encrypted, random codes with other mobile phones with the Protect Scotland app installed. You do not need to have a WiFi connection and the app uses a very small amount of your mobile phone data, but you do need to keep Bluetooth switched on
- When the app finds another user, it will record the contact, the distance between your phones and the length of time your phone was near theirs. This is all done anonymously
- If you test positive for coronavirus, you can choose to input the Test Code, provided by the contact tracer, into the app. This will automatically notify other app users that you have been in close contact with (within 2 metres for at least 15 minutes)
- When another app user tests positive, and has inputted a Test Code, the app will notify you and any others if it determines you may be at risk
- You may or may not still be contacted by a contact tracer. This depends on whether you have been identified to be at risk through traditional contact tracing methods
- It is your choice over whether you choose to download and use the app or not. You will never be asked to prove you have the app, and you should never be asked to show the status of the app to anyone else – that is entirely up to you
What Is Protect Scotland
The Protect Scotland app from NHS Scotland’s Test and Protect is a free, mobile phone app designed to help us protect each other and reduce the spread of coronavirus.
The app will alert you if you have been in close contact with another app user who tests positive for coronavirus. And if you test positive, it can help in determining contacts that you may have otherwise missed while keeping your information private and anonymous.
Using the Protect Scotland app, along with sticking to current public health measures, will help us to stay safe when we meet up, socialise, work or travel.
Downloading and using Protect Scotland will never be a requirement. However, as we see the rate of infection start to rise, it is important that we all download and use the Protect Scotland app to help stop the spread of coronavirus. We know the more of us that do, the more effective it will be.