Site icon Rocked Buzz

Magnetic balls: health authorities warn about the risks of ingestion by children



Published on 15 / 06 / 2021

2 min read.

Health authorities alert parents and caregivers of young children to the risks of ingestion of magnetic beads.

Repeated accidents The general directorate of health ( DGS), the Directorate General for Competition, Consumption and Fraud Control (DGCCRF), Public Health France and the National Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health Safety (ANSES) alert on the dangers associated with the risk of ingestion of magnetic balls. These health authorities indicate that “ two serious cases of accidental ingestion of magnetic balls of 3 to 5 mm were recently reported ”by children 3 years of age or younger. These magnetic balls can come from “anti-stress” objects intended for adults, from office gadgets, but also from certain construction and assembly games.

Consequences which may be major Once ingested, these magnetic beads can agglomerate, block the digestive tract and tear the intestinal walls causing perforations. The health authorities specify that they are “ more dangerous than inert objects of the same dimensions (glass balls, coins) ”since, mechanically, they cause major damage in the intestinal tract of the who ingested them. In the most serious cases, heavy surgeries are necessary and can be life threatening for children.

Balls to keep out of reach of children The health authorities call for the vigilance of parents and adults in charge of their surveillance: “ Objects containing magnetic beads should be strictly kept out of the reach of children, who could in particular mistake them for candy and swallow them ”they indicate. Parents are also advised to stay close to their children when playing with games containing magnetic elements and to explain their proper use and, if applicable, the dangers associated with their ingestion.

What behavior to adopt in the event of ingestion of magnetic beads? In case of ingestion of magnetic beads or even in case of doubt of ingestion of these beads , you will need to call a poison control center as soon as possible to advise you on what to do. You will find the contact details of these centers by following this link: www.centres- poison In all cases, in the event of a vital emergency, dial 06 where the 112.

+ Show sources – Hide sources sources

Press release Directorate General of Health 9440436


1-Constitution of the World Health Organization
2- NHS UK conditions