Kegel exercises; It can improve your sex life and help you if you have pelvic floor problems such as urine and stool incontinence. The main thing is to get the habit of doing these exercises every day to start getting results.
Getting Ready to Do Kegel Exercises
While urinating, stop the flow of urine to find the pelvic muscles. It is very important to find the pelvic muscles before doing Kegel exercises. These are the muscles that make up the bottom of the pelvic floor. The most common way to find them is to try to stop the flow of your urine while you urinate. This tightening movement is the basic movement of Kegel exercises. Then relax the muscles so that the flow of urine continues, so you will better understand where the Kegel muscles are located.
If you have any health problems that may prevent you from doing Kegel exercises safely, be sure to see a doctor before starting the exercises.
But do not repeat the urine flow, which is part of the Kegel exercise that you do regularly, every time you do your urine. Doing Kegel exercises more than twice a month during urination can weaken the muscles, causing a negative effect. It can also damage your bladder and kidneys.
If you’re still having trouble finding Kegel muscles, place your finger inside the vagina and tighten your muscles. You will feel the muscles are pinched and the pelvic floor moving up. When you relax, you will see that the pelvic floor moves down again.
Make sure your finger is clean before placing your finger inside the vagina.
If you are a sexually active woman, ask your partner if the vagina “grasps” and then releases the penis during sex.
Use a hand mirror to find your Kegel muscles. If you’re still having trouble finding and distinguishing Kegel muscles, grab a hand mirror in the area between your legs (covered with skin between the vagina and anus). Tighten and release the muscles you think are Kegel muscles. If you do this movement correctly, you will see that the area between the legs contracts with each tightening movement.
Make sure the bladder is empty before starting Kegel exercises. This is an important consideration. You don’t want to do Kegel exercises with a full or partially filled bladder. You may feel pain and miss a little urine while doing Kegel exercise with a full or partially filled bladder. Check your bladder before starting your routine exercise so you can do these exercises as effectively as possible.
Just focus on tightening the pelvic floor muscles. To get the best results while doing Kegel exercise, you should focus only on these muscles; You should avoid flexing other muscles, such as the hips, thighs, or abdominals. To help you focus and make movements effectively, make sure you don’t hold your breath, meaning you breathe in each Kegel movement. This will help you relax and make the most of the pelvic floor exercises.
- One way to make your muscles relax is to put one hand on your stomach and make sure your abdominal muscles are relaxed.
- If you feel some pain in your back or abdomen after doing some of Kegel’s exercises, it means you are not doing the movements correctly.
Go to a comfortable position. You can do these exercises while sitting in a chair or lying on the floor. Make sure your hip and abdominal muscles are relaxed. If you are lying down, your back should be on the floor, lie next to the arms, and your knees should be adjacent and bent. Keep the head on the ground to prevent the neck from stretching.
Tighten the pelvic floor muscles for five seconds. This is a great exercise if you’re just starting out. You don’t want to overstress them by tightening the muscles for too long. If even five seconds is too much for you, you can start exercising by squeezing these muscles for only 2-3 seconds.
Release your muscles for ten seconds. Ideally, you should always release the pelvic floor muscles every ten seconds before repeating the exercise. In this way, you have enough time for the muscles to relax and prevent the muscles from contracting. Count it to him before repeating the exercise.
Repeat the exercise ten times. This can be considered as a series of Kegel exercises. If you started exercising by squeezing these muscles for five seconds, squeeze them for five seconds, release them for ten seconds and repeat this exercise ten times. This is enough to do once. But you have to do this series of Kegel exercises 3-4 times a day, don’t do any more.
Adjust yourself to tighten the pelvic floor muscles for ten seconds at a time. You can increase the seconds of tightening the muscles every week. But you don’t need to increase it too much. You also don’t need to do more than a series of exercises per hour. Once you reach the magical number of ten seconds, you just stick to it. Repeat this exercise, which is done 10 times consecutively, 3-4 times a day, 10 seconds of muscle tightening every day.
Do the pull-up exercise, one of the Kegel exercises. This is another variant of Kegel exercises. Consider the pelvic floor muscles as a vacuum to do kegel pull-ups. Stretch your hips and lift your feet up. Stay in this position for 5 seconds and then release yourself. Do it 10 times in a row. It will take you 50 seconds to do it all.
Do Kegel exercises at least 3-4 times a day. If you want to keep these, you have to make it part of your daily routine. Since every Kegel movement will not take much time, you should be able to do these movements 3-4 times a day. You can also find ways to adapt Kegel exercises to your daily routine. You may intend to do it in the morning, afternoon, and evening, so instead of worrying about setting up time for Kegel exercises, you can start doing them regularly.
Adapt Kegel exercises to your routine. The best part of doing Kegel exercises is that you can do them without anyone noticing. You can do it while sitting at a desk in your office, having lunch with your friends, or relaxing on the sofa after a long working day. But for beginners it is important to lie on the ground, distinguish Kegel muscles and focus quite well. Once you can distinguish Kegel muscles, you can do Kegel exercises almost anywhere and anytime.
- You can get into the habit of doing them even during a routine activity like checking your post or email.
- When you find the Kegel exercise series that is right for you, instead of doing more Kegel movements, you should stick to a series of motion routines or do them with more effort. If you do these movements at an excessive level, you may experience contraction problems when you urinate or when your bowels become active.
- Remember that cutting urine flow while you urinate is a great way to find Kegel muscles. However, if you constantly perform Kegel exercise while urinating, you may experience incontinence problems.
Seek help if you think you can’t do Kegel exercises properly. Your doctor can help you find and differentiate the right muscles when you exercise. If you have been doing Kegel exercises for as long as a few months and you have had no results, you should ask your doctor for help. Here’s what your doctor can do for you:
If necessary, the doctor can train neurofeedback. Accordingly, a monitoring device is placed inside the vagina and electrodes are placed outside. The monitoring device can show how successfully it has contracted the pelvic floor muscles and for how long it has been able to maintain contraction.
The doctor can also use electrical stimulation to help you differentiate the pelvic floor muscles. During this process, a small electric current adheres to the pelvic floor muscles. When the current is activated, it automatically contracts the muscles. After applying this a little bit, you will probably have the same effect on your own.Source 1
- Try not to hold your breath, tighten your hips and thighs; Tighten your abdomen firmly or push it down rather than tightening it.
- When you do these exercises more comfortably, you will be able to do them while standing. The important thing is to keep practicing throughout the day.
- You can do these exercises while washing dishes, waiting in line, or even sitting at the desk in your office, watching a TV show, entering a commercial break or waiting in the red light with your car.
- Pregnant women can do Kegel exercises.
- Imagine that your lungs are in the pelvis, and the area between your legs is relaxed while breathing, straightening while exhaling.
- Some yoga movements also strengthen these muscles. If you have trouble doing these exercises regularly or have been thinking about doing yoga for a while, this may be a good time to start yoga.
- Men can also strengthen their pelvic floor muscles by performing PC (pubococigeal) muscle exercises.