Do you want to try a bentonite clay mask? If your skin feels oily, clogged and dull, then you may want to use all the benefits of bentonite on clay skin. This natural clay has manifested itself in all sorts of skin care products, even though masks reign supreme. It’s a super absorbent ingredient that works really well, but not for everyone.
In this article, I will explain exactly what bentonite clay is and how it works. I’ll describe all the benefits of bentonite on clay skin and its drawbacks, and make sure you know how to use it correctly and if it’s right for your skin type.
If you are a fan of skincare we have given you a wonderful recipe for the perfect bentonite clay mask, but if you are planning to buy high-end products then we have also listed all the best clay bentonite masks for clear skin. and gorgeous.
The best bentonite clay masks for glowing skin: contents
• 17 Best Bentonite Clay Masks for Achieving Clear Skin
• What is Bentonite and How Does it Work?
• Benefits of Bentonite Clay Skin: Why is it necessary to use bentonite clay masks?
• How to choose the right bentonite clay mask for the skin
• Are there any side effects of bentonite clay masks?
• How to use bentonite clay in skin care
• Create your own bentonite clay mask
- 17 best bentonite clay masks to get clear skin
- 1. Acne Treatment Mask Peter Thomas Roth Therapeutic Sulfur Mask
- 2. The botanical kinetics of Aveda Deep Cleansing Clay Masque
- 3. Sunday Riley Saturn Sulfur Acne Treatment Mask
- 4. Probiotic Tula Skin Care Exfoliating Treatment Mask
- 5. Caudalie purifying mask
- 6. SkinCeuticals Clarify Clay Masque
- 7. Clay Deep Pore Cleansing Clay
- 8. Astara Blue Flame Purification Mask
- 9. Dermalogica Clear Start Blackhead Clearing Pore Control Scrub
- 10. Dr. Hauschka soothing cleansing milk
- 11. Glamglow Instamud 60 second pore finishing treatment
- 12. Indie Lee clearing mask
- 13. First Aid Beauty Skin Rescue Acne Clearing Clear Cleanser with probiotics
- 14. Osmosis Pur Medical Skincare Pore Minimize the clay purification mask
- 15. Kiehl’s Since 1851 “Rare Earth” Deep Pore Cleansing Masque
- 16. Aztec secret Indian healing clay
- 17. Generation Clay Urban Defense Purifying Pink Clay Mask
- What is bentonite clay and how does it work?
- Benefits of Bentonite Clay Skin: Why is it necessary to use bentonite clay masks?
- How to choose the right bentonite clay mask for your skin
- Are there any side effects of bentonite clay masks?
- How to use bentonite clay in skin care
- Make your own bentonite clay mask
17 best bentonite clay masks to get clear skin
These 17 clay and bentonite masks are the best on the market when it comes to achieving the smooth, clear skin you’ve always dreamed of.
1. Acne Treatment Mask Peter Thomas Roth Therapeutic Sulfur Mask
This is a gentle mask with bentonite clay for acne-prone skin. In addition to bentonite clay that mattifies the skin, it also includes ultra-gentle kaolin clay and 10% sulfur, which is a great remedy for treating acne. To soothe the skin, there is also some aloe vera and zinc oxide, so it’s not totally dehydrating. You can buy this mask from Sephora.
2. The botanical kinetics of Aveda Deep Cleansing Clay Masque
This is a deep cleansing mask that leaves the skin glowing. It consists of a blend of clays, including powerful bentonite clay, plus hydrating glycerin, caffeine-boosting, and a variety of skin-fortifying minerals. It’s a great choice for normal and combination skin types that need extra cleansing. It is available for sale on Nordstrom.
3. Sunday Riley Saturn Sulfur Acne Treatment Mask
Bentonite clay skin benefits are instantly amplified with the addition of other skin care ingredients. In this mask, we also have anti-acne sulfur, skin lightening niacinamide, and a whole collection of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant botanical ingredients. No matter your skin type, if you’re dealing with a tough breakout, this mask is a fab choice. You can buy it directly from Sephora.
4. Probiotic Tula Skin Care Exfoliating Treatment Mask
This mask combines the super cleansing of bentonite with the benefits of the skin with the gently exfoliating effects of lactic acid. It also contains probiotics to increase skin hydration and repair its barrier functions, so it’s a great choice for oily but sensitive skin types. If you want to try it, you can get it from Nordstrom.
5. Caudalie purifying mask
When you look past the very pretty packaging you will find a nice hold on bentonite clay masks. The clays in the mask absorb excess oil, while the non-comedogenic botanical oils prevent the skin from feeling dry and stripped. Astringent plant extracts help tighten pores for a pleasant treatment for combination and oily skin. You can find this mask at Sephora.
6. SkinCeuticals Clarify Clay Masque
This skin firming bentonite clay mask formula is a great choice for all skin types for deep cleansing that doesn’t leave skin too tight. This mask also includes a variety of plant extracts to nourish the skin and a touch of aloe vera to keep it hydrated. You can buy it online from Dermstore.
7. Clay Deep Pore Cleansing Clay
This bentonite clay mask gives a deep cleansing without peeling the skin. In addition to purifying bentonite and kaolin clays, it also includes a touch of resurfacing lactic acid and a regenerating apricot oil and soothing calendula extract. It is a great choice for both normal and combined skin types. You can pick up a squeeze bottle with this mask at Sephora.
8. Astara Blue Flame Purification Mask
This gentle take on bentonite clay masks will give your skin a healthy and beautiful look. It has a lot of aloe vera, so you’ll stay really hydrated. In addition to deep cleansing clays, it also includes pores tightening witch hazel and a ton of soothing herbs. This clay mask is suitable for all skin types. You can pick it up from Dermstore .
9. Dermalogica Clear Start Blackhead Clearing Pore Control Scrub
This bentonite clay product is a two-in-one face scrub and mask with microspheres that gently exfoliate the skin. It will deeply cleanse pores and rejuvenate the skin with a collection of botanicals.
It also includes a touch of salicylic acid to keep new breakouts away. It’s a great choice for normal, combination, and oily skin, but avoid it if you tend to get very sensitive. You can buy it from Nordstrom .
10. Dr. Hauschka soothing cleansing milk
It is a unique cleansing formula that allows people with dry and sensitive skin to enjoy the deep cleansing properties of bentonite without the risk of dryness or irritation. It includes many moisturizing oils, soothing extracts and hydrating probiotics to repair and nourish the skin, and just a touch of clay to remove impurities. You can pick it up from Dermstore.
11. Glamglow Instamud 60 second pore finishing treatment
If you find masking your skin to be a chore, you can still get all the benefits of bentonite clay skin with the help of this 60-second clay mask. This mask refines pores and evens skin with witch hazel and niacinamide. Contains some cleaning agents that allow you to rinse off quickly and easily. Just apply it on the skin, leave it to bubble and then rinse it off. It can be purchased from Sephora .
12. Indie Lee clearing mask
This is a simple name for a simple yet extremely effective product that is sure to appreciate those with an affinity for natural ingredients. The bentonite clay here helps mattify the skin and clear pores, while the glycolic and salicylic acid exfoliate the skin thoroughly. The skin stays hydrated thanks to hyaluronic acid, making it an excellent choice even for those with mature or combination skin. It is available for sale at Dermstore .
13. First Aid Beauty Skin Rescue Acne Clearing Clear Cleanser with probiotics
This is a bentonite clay cleanser that you can use every day to keep pores clean, dull skin, and acne a long way off. It includes 2% salicylic acid, which is a fabulous exfoliating and anti-acne ingredient, along with hydrating probiotics and ultra absorbent charcoal. It’s a great choice for anyone dealing with breakouts, so get yourself a tube from Sephora.
14. Osmosis Pur Medical Skincare Pore Minimize the clay purification mask
This gentle clay mask is a fabulous choice for soothing skin that has been irritated by acne. Contains a blend of kaolin and bentonite clays to remove impurities from the skin and anti-aging ingredients to reduce environmental damage. Leaves skin clean, firm and healthy. You can buy it online from Dermstore.
15. Kiehl’s Since 1851 “Rare Earth” Deep Pore Cleansing Masque
This gentle bentonite clay mask instantly minimizes pores and mattifies skin, keeping it healthy but not too dry. Contains soothing aloe vera along with a blend of purifying clays including bentonite. It is available for sale on Nordstrom .
16. Aztec secret Indian healing clay
If you are a fan of chemistry, this is the only bentonite clay product you will need. This is simply 100% pure calcium bentonite clay in the form of a finely ground powder. It’s ready to mix, so you can create the perfect bentonite clay mask for your skin’s needs. I even have a recipe, so you can start right! You can collect a jar of this clay through Amazon .
17. Generation Clay Urban Defense Purifying Pink Clay Mask
All natural and absolutely gentle, this is a great bentonite clay mask for all skin types. It also contains a touch of kaolin clay, along with moisturizing aloe vera, skin resurfacing vitamin A, and anti-aging kakadu plum extract. It is fabulous for people who wish to combine their deep cleansing with an anti-aging treatment. You can pick it up from Revolve .
What is bentonite clay and how does it work?
Bentonite clay is an absorbent clay with many benefits for the skin. It is often taken from volcanic ash.
It is important to note that there are some types of clay referred to as bentonite, but more frequently it is the term used to speak of montmorillonite, or at least a clay that mainly contains montmorillonite.
Montmorillonite is a mineral, or rather, a group of soft phyllosilicate minerals. These minerals have a soft texture and are fabulous for creating bentonite clay masks that blend with water and various skin-friendly ingredients.
Benefits of Bentonite Clay Skin: Why is it necessary to use bentonite clay masks?
For most people, bentonite clay skin benefits come when used as a mask occasionally. This clay is extremely absorbent, so it is able to extract oils and impurities from the skin. That’s why those with extremely oily skin love it – it’s an instant mattifying treatment!
It also makes it a phenomenal remedy for anyone with blackheads or a lot of sebaceous strands. However, those with dry skin should definitely avoid bentonite clay masks, as they will eventually dry out the skin.
There are also some benefits to using bentonite clay for acne-prone skin, especially if acne is caused by excessive oil production. Bentonite clay masks won’t be as helpful if acne is caused by irritation, dehydration, or hormonal imbalance.
Bentonite clay acts like a vacuum, helping to remove the sebum and impurities that clog pores and cause blackheads, pimples and acne. This, in turn, helps prevent breakouts especially if done several times a week.
How to choose the right bentonite clay mask for your skin
Like other clay masks, skin care products with bentonite clay should also be chosen wisely, taking into account your problems and skin type. Here’s how you choose the right bentonite clay masks for your skin type!
Bentonite clay masks for dry skin
Chances are the right bentonite clay mask for your skin doesn’t exist, because bentonite clay is very dry. However, if you want, you can try mild cleansers that contain a touch of bentonite, especially if your skin feels a little clogged.
If you’re really serious about trying a bentonite clay mask, look for one that also has plenty of botanical oils to keep your skin hydrated.
Bentonite clay masks for normal and combination skin
If your skin is balanced enough, with both oily and dry parts, you can occasionally use bentonite clay masks for deep cleansing. Look for masks that have a combination of bentonite and kaolin, along with some ingredients that hydrate your skin such as aloe vera or glycerin.
If your skin becomes oily or congested only on some parts, apply the mask only on those parts of the skin – you can leave the other parts bare or apply a moisturizing mask.
Bentonite clay masks for oily skin
Bentonite clay masks are basically made for your skin type! They will do a great job of sucking up excess oil produced by your skin and keeping it dull.
You will find that most bentonite clay products were created with your skin in mind and you really can’t go wrong. Some masks are more mattifying to the skin than others, however, so the closer bentonite clay to the top of the ingredient list, the stronger the mask will be.
Bentonite clay masks for acne-prone skin
The mattifying and detoxifying properties of bentonite clay make it a nice addition to a skincare routine meant to fight acne and breakouts, but overdoing it can actually deprive the skin, irritate it, and make acne worse. That’s why you don’t want to use bentonite clay masks more than a few times a week, and you want to be very gentle with your skin during the process – always moisturizing afterward, and never rubbing the skin too hard.
The best bentonite clay masks for acne will also include some antibacterial ingredients like sulfur or tea tree oil to help kill acne bacteria, along with anti-inflammatory ingredients like green tea extract. or zinc oxide to soothe the skin.
Another great choice are bentonite clay masks which also have some salicylic or lactic acid, as they also help remove damaged skin by gently exfoliating.
Bentonite clay masks for mature skin
If you are starting to worry about the signs of premature aging, loss of tone, wrinkles and fine lines, but also find that your skin becomes oily or clogged, you may find some skin care benefits of bentonite clay masks that contain also anti ingredients
Look for bentonite clay masks with skin-building ingredients like glycolic acid or vitamin A, moisturizing but non-oily ingredients like glycerin or hyaluronic acid, and rejuvenating and antioxidant ingredients like vitamin C or tea extract green.
Bentonite clay masks for sensitive skin
If your skin becomes red or irritated easily, the most important thing is that you patch test any skin care product before using it, including bentonite clay masks. Those with sensitive skin may still find that their skin becomes oily or congested, so there are certainly bentonite clay skin benefits they can use.
The best bentonite masks for your skin also contain soothing ingredients such as aloe vera, green tea extract, or zinc oxide. Mixtures of kaolin and bentonite clays will also be much gentler on the skin.
If bentonite clay doesn’t work for you, masks with mostly kaolin clay or French green clay will be great alternatives.
Are there any side effects of bentonite clay masks?
You definitely want to get in using the knowledgeable bentonite clay masks. Bentonite clay is a fairly safe skin care ingredient, but it is not without risk.
• Since it is a clay taken directly from nature, it can contain contaminants. The FDA had to issue warning letters to cosmetics companies that used bentonite clay with high levels of lead. While this isn’t all that dangerous when applied topically, since the skin retains these kinds of bad things, it’s still important to only buy bentonite clay products from companies you trust.
• Since bentonite clay is absorbent of both oil and water, it can severely exacerbate both dryness and dehydration of the skin. It is best to avoid this clay and opt for a more delicate clay such as kaolin if you have dry or dehydrated skin. If you are dead from use, be sure to moisturize very well afterwards and choose a bentonite clay mask that also contains many moisturizing ingredients.
• Bentonite clay can also be a little irritating to people with sensitive skin. Be sure to patch test any bentonite clay skin care products you intend to use, to make sure they don’t irritate your skin or turn it red.
• Bentonite clay masks, if formulated improperly, can disturb the pH of the skin. This can make the skin irritated, more susceptible to acne, and overall just feel rough and uncomfortable. Make sure you’re buying bentonite clay products from reputable brands (like the ones I’ve listed), and if you make your own, be sure to follow my recipe, which helps lower the clay’s pH.
How to use bentonite clay in skin care
Bentonite clay is always best to use as a mask! You can make your own mask by following the recipe we list below, or use one of the best bentonite clay masks on our list!
This is a routine to follow once or twice a week at most and avoid doing it when your skin feels dry or dehydrated.
• You should start by preparing your skin. Cleanse your skin with your favorite cleanser: If you wear makeup, you can clean them in two with a makeup remover followed by a traditional cleanser.
• If you wish, you can exfoliate your skin before applying the bentonite mask. Any exfoliant can work, but if you’re looking to deep clean your pores, use a chemical exfoliator with at least 2% salicylic acid and let it sit on your skin for 5-10 minutes.
• Apply the bentonite clay mask on the skin in a very thin layer, using upward motions or motions. You don’t really need to use a lot of the clay mask, and the thinner the layer, the better. You can use a clean foundation brush to get the perfect mask application, even if your fingers work.
• Let the mask rest on the skin for 5-15 minutes. Longer isn’t better with clay masks, so it’s best to start with just leaving it on for 5 minutes – if you feel that’s not enough, you can add a couple more minutes to the hold time next time you use it.
• Once enough time has elapsed and the mask is dry and tight, it should be removed. The easiest way is to use facial sponges or a damp face cloth and gently wipe your face until all traces of the mask are gone. You can also steam your face to release the mask, although I don’t like to recommend it for people at home, since too hot steam can damage the skin.
• After masking it is very important to infuse the skin with hydration and hydration! If you have time, it would be nice to apply a moisturizing and nourishing mask to the skin and let it sit for 10-20 minutes.
• If you used a moisturizing mask, remove it as needed. If not, delve into the rest of your skin care routine, focusing on moisturizing ingredients.
• At a minimum, a moisturizing serum is applied to the skin followed by a moisturizer, although it would be better to apply a moisturizing toner, a moisturizing essence, a serum and then a moisturizer. If you have used the bentonite clay mask during the day, finish with the sunscreen.
Make your own bentonite clay mask
Bentonite clay alone can be bought cheaply online, so why not try making your own bentonite clay masks? I’ll list a super simple recipe that almost anyone can make, and then I’ll give you some tips on how to line it up!
As always with DIY skincare, it’s best to make this fresh bentonite clay mask whenever you intend to use it. Preservative-free homemade skin care products deteriorate very quickly compared to commercial products, and damaged skin care can irritate the skin or infect it with unwanted bacteria. Avoid this problem entirely by preparing yourself just enough for one use.
Please note that some online recipes suggest mixing clay with water, but this isn’t actually a great idea. Bentonite clay has a pH between 9.5 and 10.5, which can be extremely irritating to the skin and make it more susceptible to damage. Adding unfiltered apple cider vinegar lowers the pH of the formula, making it much safer and better for the skin.
For this recipe you will need:
• 100% Bentonite Clay in the form of a very fine powder – no more than a teaspoon is needed for a single use mask.
• Unfiltered apple cider vinegar (ideally organic variety), to create a creamy texture and reduce the pH of the mask. Water or other vinegars are not a good substitute!
• A clean ceramic or glass bowl
• A mask brush (or a totally clean flat foundation brush)
• Optional: a couple of drops of tea tree or lavender essential oil. You can also add some honey, yogurt, or aloe vera for extra hydration.
In your clean bowl, combine a teaspoon of bentonite clay with an equal amount of apple cider vinegar and mix with the brush. The mixture may froth a little, which is perfectly fine. You can also add a few drops of essential oil or a moisturizing ingredient.
Using the brush apply the bentonite clay mask to clean skin in upward strokes, following the directions I outlined in the previous section.